Thursday, May 08, 2008
Owning a home
For those of you who don't know Tim and I have now owned our a little over a year. We purchased our home on April 26, 2007. Previously we were living in a single wide trailer out in the country. My neighbors were horses and Amish and bears and deer. Really! If you want to hear the bear story or a deer leg one let me know their pretty awesome!! But now we live in town with neighbors who are people! That creates its own set of unexpected outcomes but so far living in our home and having people for neighbors has been awesome. We did a lot of work on our house in the last year and I am really proud to call this house my home. My heart and soul are in this place and we have put our stamp on it making it ours. Do you feel like that, for those of you who have homes? I love my house. Are there things I would change, of course, does anyone have a big enough kitchen I always feel the kitchen could be bigger. In reality though I am blessed. I have a wonderful husband who bought a bigger place for his wife and family. One because we were growing out of it, with three kids it would have become really crowded in the trailer. Two so that his wife wouldn't get cabin fever and feel she needed to leave the house with three kids in a blizzard with 3' feet of snow on the ground. I did it with two but think maybe it would have been a lot harder with three. I love my home did I say that yet! Now that the cosmetic work is done its down to the foundation fixing and the electrical and the insulation. All the unglamorous jobs that are required and no one knows is there but you. But even those for me are a blessing. That I have a husband who worked in the electrical field long enough to know how to rewire our house from the old knob and tube to who code requires now, think of the money he is saving us! Also I live in a community where I will be able to walk up to a man at church and tell his my foundation troubles and he will come with his backhoe in a few days and fix it for me. That is cool, no contractors just personal friends coming over to get things done. When we run into plumbing troubles I call my father in law to come and fix it, which he can! Its the little things right. The chipped paint in the living room where when I tried to hang a picture I took a piece of the wall down, gotta love plaster and lath. The bathroom and living room yellow just what I have always wanted! My bedroom with its chocolate walls, and brick red bed spread and curtains, I have real curtains! Sarah's pink room that my friends helped me rag and it just looks exquisite. Derek's dinosaur room. The laundry room upstairs instead of in the kitchen. The fact that I have the hand me down furniture that I grew up with. I love it all! Thank you Lord for the blessing of having a house and a home. You know the difference right, the house is the four walls I live in, the home is the people I live inside the house with who make my life the blessing it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment