Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What is it about Basketball?

I didn't play basketball to much while growing up. You have to put a lot of commitment into the sport to be any good at it. I didn't truly understand how the game was played until I was in college either. Then after Tim and I were married and moved back to Sherman I realized something there are towns that live for basketball season. Sherman and towns areound are that kind of town. The whole town shows up at games regular season and playoffs, it doesn't mattter. I got into basketball big time with the town. It helps that I know all the kids that play. Its one thing to cheer for your favorit NFL team, which don't get me wrong I am a huge Steeler fan, but these kids I know personally. You should see what the gym is like after the games most people wait until after teh kids shake hands and then go over and talk to the players its a big event a basketball game. The game could be over by 8 but you are still at the gym at 9 because you have so many poeple to talk to. Tonight the Sherman Wildcat High School girls are playing in a playoff game verses one of their arch rivals the Clymer Pirates. (Just for you to know its not just a high school rivalry but a town rivalry. Those in Sherman think those in Clymer are crazy and the same goes for those in Clymer thinking those in Sherman are crazy. Its like that Dr. Seuss book I can't think of the title now but the butter side up vs. the butter side down book, if you know the name let me know.) This will be the third time these two teams have faced this year. Now they have played a ton over the last few years and will face many more times but this playoff game is important. Sherman won the first game and then Clymer won the second. Its payback time its time for Sherman to shine. We are the better team by far we let them get in our head when we played at their home court and they should not have won but we never came out ready. So tonight is our time to shine this group of girls has been playing together since they were in elementary school. They are predicted to go to States and play for the Class D Championship but do you put that on them when they are only in the semi-finals of their division? Any way Sarah and Derek are wearing their Sherman sweatshirts and Nathan has on his blue and gold. I have not decided what I am going to wear beyond the fact that I have gold and blue beads and gold tassels that I have to wear. I told one of the girls that I would always wear the tassels and so I will not break that promise. I love these girls and I really hope they do well tonight so that they can continue on this weekend and go to States. GO WILDCATS!!

No comments: